Monday, November 2, 2009

Don't Look Down!

Scottie: It's because of this fear of heights I have, this acrophobia. I wake up at night seeing that man fall from the roof and I try to reach out to him, it's just...

Midge: It wasn't your fault.

Scottie
: I know. That's what everybody tells me.

Midge
: Johnny, the doctors explained to you.

Scottie: I know. I know. I have acrophobia which gives me vertigo and I get dizzy. Boy, what a moment to find out I had it!

Midge
: Well, you've got it and there's no losing it. And there's no one to blame, so why quit?

Scottie
: You mean and sit behind a desk, chair-bound...

Midge
: ...where you belong.

Scottie
: What about my acrophobia? What about... Now, suppose, suppose I'm sitting in this chair behind a desk, here's the desk, and a pencil falls from the desk down to the floor, and I reach down to pick up the pencil - BINGO - my acrophobia's back.

Midge
: [Laughing.] Oh, Johnny-O.

-Vertigo (1958)
Alfred Hitchcock


Well, the Gnu Herd had a great time at the beach. When we got tired of looking at scenery right off the back porch like this...







...we went out to explore the island. Some friends came down to join us for the weekend, so we went up to Currituck Village to climb to the top of the lighthouse. Here's another video postcard from the top of the lighthouse:



Great view, huh? Don't look down if you're afraid of heights!!

Again, from the west side, looking over at the Keeper's house:



Yes, I know, my thumb makes another cameo appearance. Still, that's a lot better than filming my iPhone's untimely demise!

Looking up the spiral staircase on our way to the top...



Hello, hello (Hola!)
I'm at a place called Vertigo (¿Donde esta?)
It's everything I wish I didn't know

Except you give me something

I can feel, feel.


-U2, Vertigo
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb (2004)

Here's some slightly more sane pictures of the grounds...

The Keeper's Quarters, at ground level:



Nice digs, huh?

The lighthouse from the sound:



The nature trail along the Currituck Sound:



The Currituck Sound:



Dunno why they call it a sound... I didn't hear a damn thing.

all photos and videos copyright
2009, The Smoking Gnu

No comments: